You Just Never Know

I heard about a juried art quilt show calling for representations of strong, inspirational women. Living on the Central Coast of California, near Hearst Castle, I immediately thought Julia Morgan, the first female licensed architect in California. She worked tirelessly alongside William Randolph Hearst to build the castle and its surrounding buildings. She also architected women’s clubs, a YWCA and many memorable buildings primarily in Northern California.

I visited the site and took photos. I researched her life. I studied aerial views of the property. I tied these all together and came up with my piece “Julia Morgan,” 24” x 30."



As it turns out, I did not get accepted into the juried show that inspired my piece. I did display it at our local annual festival called Seven Sisters Quilt Show. And then I entered it into a juried show at the Morro Bay Art Center called “Pushing Boundaries.” Julia Morgan certainly was pushing boundaries in many fashions. Not only was the piece accepted, but I received an Honorable Mention. I was delighted with the recognition and monetary prize.

Towards the end of the exhibit I got a phone call from the president of a local woman’s club, called The Monday Club, a philanthropic group. As it turns out, Julia Morgan was the architect of this building in San Luis Obispo. The club was formed in 1925 and the land was purchased in the early 1930’s. What could be more perfect for a woman’s club than to be designed by a woman architect?

The president told me that a local playwright had written a two-act play about the life of Julia Morgan and it was going to be presented at the club. She asked if I would be willing to display the piece in the lobby during the performances. Of course I would! I would be honored!

I was given two tickets to the play. When I arrived, there was my piece with a temporary frame around it on the side of the stage. During intermission, another club officer, Cyndi inquired about buying the piece. I told her I’d get back to her.

I thought this over, and since the group is all about philanthropy and their meeting house was designed by Julia Morgan, I decided to donate it to the club. There were two provisions, that it be framed professionally and not hung in direct sun. Cyndi agreed. I left the piece with her.

Shortly thereafter, she invited me to a group luncheon. There was my piece, again on the stage. But this time it was beautifully framed under museum quality glass. I met many charming women who work tirelessly for local good causes. I knew without a doubt that I have had made the right decision in donating the piece. And now Julia Morgan resides in her rightful place.


So the moral of the story is, keep creating and keep displaying your work in public. Of course I was disheartened when the piece was at first rejected. But I kept showing it. The right eyes spotted it and the perfect home presented itself. Keep putting your work out there! You just never know.

Comments